Saturday, October 6, 2007

Color Me Bitter - Part 2

The night before I started this blog,I saw a great segment on the evening news about thinking before you buy pink products. The report mentioned that many companies that sell"Pink" products to help raise money for Breast Cancer charities, have a cut-off $ amount listed in their fine print.
One example was the Yoplait lid campaign. Yoplait donates 10 cents for each lid mailed in up to 1.5 million dollars. I wonder how much it costs to mail those lids? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just send your money directly to the organization? What type of tax write-off does Yoplait get? Why cap it at $1.5 million dollars? Is the product marked up to mark down? Eureka which gives $1 for every $200 purchase, has a cap of $250,000. American Express donates 1 penny per transaction which I would imagine comes from the retailers that accept their card.

http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/ This website was mentioned as a source to check out before you "Buy Pink".

I feel better about being sceptical about companies motives for "going pink" after seeing this report. I am also happy that the Think Before You Pink website is a product of Breast Cancer Action http://bcaction.org/.

My favorite quote on the on their website is "If shopping could cure breast cancer it would be cured by now."

I think Breast Cancer Research is a worthy cause to donate to. It just irks me to see so many companies jumping on the bandwagon and using this disease as a public relations tactic.

No comments: