Thursday, October 18, 2007

Gas Pains

I am sick of yo-yoing gas prices!

This past Monday night my husband told me that the best gas prices near our house were at a station about three miles away for $2.59 a gallon. I filed that in the back of my mind.

Tuesday morning I needed to go to Sam's Club, where the nearby gas stations are usually among the lowest $ per gallon. Before I left, my friend David called to warn me that there was yet another oil crisis on the news and gas prices were set to sky-rocket once again. Whatever.... After awhile you get de-sensitized to all the oil "crisises" !

As I passed my two favorite gas stations, I noticed their prices were only a penny apart at $2.649 & $ 2.659. I opted to spend 15 - 20 cents extra to fill up at the station that was on the more convenient side of the road. I first went to Sam's and 30 minutes later stopped to fill up.
As I was pumping my gas I looked up at the large sign that advertised the prices to passing motorists.

What the...????!!! The price per gallon had just gone up 24 cents! Fortunately the pumps were still at the lower price. Whew... For a moment I felt lucky.

Last night, one day later, the price went down 10 cents. Why???

How the hell do gas stations set their prices? I am sceptical that it is entirely based on their costs. I am beginning to feel that this is a sick, twisted game that is being played with consumers. This is one game that is not fun and that I rather not play!!!

No comments: