Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Bitter Hypocrite

A few weeks ago, my friend David called to tell me about his latest food discovery. He prefaced his tale with..." I know how you feel about "pink" products.......". He then went on to tell me about Panera Bread's "Breast Cancer Bagel". It is a ribbon shaped bagel with bits of dried cherries, cranberries, brown sugar chucks, honey & vanilla. This was his new favorite treat.

I felt like the gauntlet had been thrown down. I now had to try this new treat to see for myself if it really was " all that"!

Damn him!!!! I now am hooked. After my second trip back to Panera and subsequent confession to my friend, he informed me that this bagel is only available for a short time.

Why do businesses do this??? Bring in a new item, have it become wildly popular and then take it off the market. How is this "good business"? Why not give the people what they want, when they want, all year long?

I'll show them! I've been back a few more times and am starting to get sick of this dessert-like bagel. Hey, wait a minute..... I bought into their scheme, didn't I? I never would have eaten so many of these bagels in such a short period of time if I could always get them.

Color me pink with embarrasement!

No comments: